Just under one hundred New Mexico students entered the 2021 contest. Of those entries, 55 writers advanced to round two and 29 writers advanced to round three. In Level 1, there were 56 entries with 13 letters advancing to round three state judging. In Level 2, there were 24 entries with 8 letters advancing to round three. In Level 3, there were 17 entries with 8 letters moving on to round three state judging. All of the writers who advanced to round two will receive an award certificate in the mail. From the twenty-nine round 3 state finalists, the state judges selected three champions, three second place writers, three third place writers, and six honorable mention letters. Many New Mexico schools and home schooled students from around the state participate in the competition. We appreciate the support of teachers, librarians, and parents for Letters About Literature.
Level 1 Winner
- 2nd Place: Emmasofia Hayett
- 3rd Place: Sadie Clark
- Honorable Mentions: Nayeli Solis Jacobson & McKenzie Lee Mortensen
Level 2 Winner
- 2nd Place: Haddi Rychlik
- 3rd Place: Tanay Tarikere
- Honorable Mentions: Maiya Brock & Mackenzie Carlsen
Level 3 Winner
- 2nd Place: Daniel Hunter Bluedorn
- 3rd Place: Scott Hofmann
- Honorable Mentions: Serenity Grace Hall & Loriann Chavez
No contest due to Covid-19 pandemic.
2019 winners reading their letters
Level 1 Winner:
- Galen Yane, a fifth grade student. Galen wrote his letter to Gordon Korman about his book, Schooled.
Level 2 Winner:
- Rowaina Alaini, an eighth grade student. Her letter is addressed to Enchanted Air author, Margarita Engle.
Level 3 Winner:
- Emily Freeman, a tenth grade student. Emily wrote her letter to Ned Vizzini about his book, It’s Kind of a Funny Story.